Friday 5 October 2012

Back from the USA (for now)

Hello, It has been a busy couple of months since the last update here. As well as keeping busy with the BCMI-MiDAS project here in Plymouth, and working on a couple of exciting new ventures here which I'll have to update you on some other time, I've just got back from a trip to Texas' Stephen F. Austin State University and College of Fine Arts, where I gave a public lecture as part of their Cole Series in Performing Arts at the wonderful Wright Hall. I also gave seminars in electroacoustic composition, and commercial mixing, to Composition majors and Sound Recording Technology (SRT) 'majors' respectively. The SRT programme is an Avid certified training centre for Pro Tools making it an extremely well equipped facility with the new HDx / Icon system in use (amongst various other incarnations of Pro Tools) in their lab.
.
Huge thanks to Kevin Kelleher, the course director, for inviting me to visit, and making sure everything went incredibly smoothly.

As well as various touristy activities (like visiting a 160-acre Longhorn cattle ranch, and handling live firearms!), I also got to drop in to Encore, the nearby recording studio where Willie Nelson recorded "Nacogdoches". What a place!
In non-work news, I completed the Langdale Marathon (allegedly the 'worlds toughest road race') in September, raising money for Emmaus, a charity supporting the homeless. It's never too late to donate - if you are interested, click on over to my just-giving page.

Finally, I'm due to return to the states at the end of the month as part of the Audio Engineering Society convention in San Francisco, so it will be nice to say Hi to some familiar faces. Do drop me a line if you're going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.