Wednesday 25 July 2012

Busy busy...

Hello,

Lots going on here so excuse the lack of an update last month! I'm delighted to say that I will be joining a new project as a Research Fellow in Computer Music with Artificial Intelligence, headed up by Professor Eduardo Miranda and Dr Alexis Kirke at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Computer Music Research as of next month, and as part of my leaving 'do' from the Music Faculty I am running the Langdale Marathon in September for a local Oxford charity, Emmaus. You can find out more on my just-giving page.

I'm not sure how much I can blog about the new research (if at all) at the moment, so that's all I can say for now - but it is extremely sci-fi and a very cool project to be involved in, sponsored for 4.5 years by the EPSRC, and I'm delighted to be working with the people involved who are first rate in their field. I'll try and update the other pages on this site when I can.

Other than finishing up at the Faculty of Music here in Oxford, I spent last weekend recording the Reading Phoenix Choir, one of the best amateur choirs in the UK (they were nominated for BBC choir of the year in 2010), under the very talented musical direction of David Crown. The finished disc has just been edited and is with David for review before mastering, so I'll try and keep you posted once it is available, or keep an eye on them here.

I've also been working hard on an archival project for Soprano Teresa Cahill, approximately 100 reel-to-reel tapes restored/digitized to a collection earmarked for the British Library sound archives (pic attached). Wonderful material including Glyndebourne, Royal Opera House, and so much more. The tapes are upwards of forty years old in some cases, so have taken some special love to get going!!

Finally, if you are the type to watch such things, and caught Christian O'Connell's Top 50 Dumbass videos, you will have heard mine and Nick's handywork in the stings - it's been rotated on MTV and MTV Classic I think.

That's all for now - and it might be all for a while... Thanks for reading!

Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.