- Qualified Teacher Status in UK
- Postgraduate Cert Further & Higher Ed. University of Surrey, UK, 2004
- Postgraduate Certificate of Academic Practice, Plymouth University, UK, 2015
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Date of recognition 05/01/2016 (certificate)
- Apple Certified Logic Pro Trainer
- (one of the 1st trainers in the UK, certified by Apple HQ at 1 Hanover Square, London UK, 2006)
- Nominated by students of UPSU for 2016 SSTAR award, "Inspirational Teaching". Plymouth University, April 2016.
- Co-recipient of Humanities Division 'Teaching Award' for design of new courses in composition with Max/MSP and Logic Pro, Faculty of Music, University of Oxford, 2010
- Waynflete studies tutor in musical instrument acoustics (2011) and sound recording technology (2013), Magdalen College School, Oxford
- Part of the London-Beijing World city links programme including visiting placement with the Beijing Vocational College of Electrical Science, China, 2009
- Cole Series guest lecturer in performing arts, SFASU Texas USA 2012. Designer of MUT360 module in commercial music composition for sound engineering majors.
- Peer reviewer for Focal Press (2010-12), Audio Engineering Society (2010-), Transactions on Affective Computing Journal (IEEE), Brain Computer Interfaces Journal (Taylor & Francis), Psychology of Music Journal (Sage), Journal of New Music Research (Taylor & Francis), CIM 2014 and IEEE ICCCT 2015 conferences, CMMR2016 conference, and Marie Curie Affective Neurosciences Fellowships (TU Berlin, 2015).
- Editorial board member of Musicæ Scientæ (Sage) 2015-
- Editorial board member of Journal of Creative Music Systems (JCMS) 2016-
- Co-chair and organiser of 11th International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research (CMMR2015), Plymouth University (16-19 June 2015).
- Co-creator and convenor of SPEEC (Symposium for the Performance of Electronic and Experimental Composition), Oxford University (6-7 Jan 2012). Guest editor of proceedings in Contemporary Music Review Journal.
- Member of Institute for Learning (MIfL, 2008-)
- Successful JISC / X4L e-learning project (VLE based) in conjunction with Soundcraft and Groves Music Dictionary (Macmillan Publishers/Brockenhurst&Farnborough College, UK 2003)
Old lecture/tutorial notes2012-2017 (Plymouth University)Lecture notes and examples from Duncan's module MUS508, Psychology of Music, at Plymouth University are available on the Digital Learning Environment pages here.
2009-2012 (University of Oxford)
If you are studying the MSt in Music at Oxford University and have chosen the composition pathway, notes and material from Duncan's classes in Interactive Audio Programming and Sound for Picture are still available from the Faculty Weblearn pages (these pages are accessible to current Faculty of Music staff and students only)
2006-2009 (City of Westminster College/University of Westminster)
Duncan's lecture notes and assigment briefs for City of Westminster College's semester 1 core module Introduction to Acoustics, and semester 3 optional module Psychoacoustics, will appear here soon. Lecture notes from the semester 4 optional module Audio for Film and Video are available